Friday, January 29, 2010

Crafting...a nesting instinct...

I realize it's been forever since I last blogged but with Gavin gone for the weekend...frankly, I'm bored. Also, with baby Julia due to arrive in 6 weeks I figured I need to pick my blogging back up.

I have been crafting more than usual lately (which might be some sort of nesting instinct) but here's what I've been up to....

Avery had her 7th birthday last week and any of you who know me know that I enjoy making my kids birthday cakes. My mom always made our cakes growing up and it's such a fond memory for me. Avery already enjoys looking back at her cakes from years past. This year's cake was my biggest endeavor yet. Since I have never taken any sort of class I usually just do everything with about 2 decorator tips and the kind of frosting you buy in those little plastic things. Well, I now have two friends that decorate the most beautiful cakes with fondant and they inspired me to take a stab at it. It was very time consuming but fun. My friend Mikey gave me the recipe for great tasting fondant (and a delicious buttercream as well). Another friend Leticia guided me through the process (but didn't do it for me...what an awesome teacher). Here is the final product.

I
I have also made a few aprons lately. These were for some neighbors. I'll have to take some better pictures next time. The letters are made from felt, fused onto the fabric, and then hand stitched on with embroidery thread.

These are the ones I made for my nieces and Avery. Avery's was the first and I did it without a pattern. I have improved on them since then (she keeps asking for a pocket) but her's is still cute.


Here's hoping it doesn't take me another month to update my blog again. Does anybody still ready any of this?

4 comments:

Kaitlin L. said...

I read it, Andrea! I plugged you into my Google Reader when I found your blog a couple of weeks ago, so post ahead :)

srezsnyak said...

That cake is really beautiful! Wow, great job!

andreacarrier said...

How exciting to have 2 comments after my 7 months off. Thanks ladies!!

Amy said...

those aprons are very cute. I need to make Mikayla a new one, her little sister has inherited the ones I made when she was little.